KRR: Sooie... Woo 'Pig' Sooie!


It's not often audiences can say they aren't sure what Nicolas Cage is thinking in his films. Cage, one of the most beloved and criticized actors of his time, is known for many things. Subtlety is not one of them. Yet, at different points throughout his career, Nic Cage has found a way to channel that over-the-top energy he brings into some wonderous roles. Moonstruck is a classic. Leaving Las Vegas won Cage an Oscar. Adaptation may be the best performance (or two) of his career. Now, rounding out his career Rushmore is Pig.

The directorial debut of Michael Sarnowski boasts Adam Arkin, Alex Wolff, and Nic Cage in one of the most emotionally affecting movies of the year. It follows a truffle hunter (Cage), who normally lives as a hermit in the Pacific Northwest, but now must reconcile with the world he left as he searches for his beloved truffle-hunting pig, who has been stolen from him. At risk of spoiling too much of this film, I'm not going to link a trailer, and instead I'm going to offer my own personal reflection in this short review.

No, Pig is not a First Cow sequel.

I didn't know anything about Pig going in. I knew Nic Cage's face was on the poster and the title was Pig. That's good enough for me. I see Nic Cage on the poster - I watch. That's how I end up laughing my way through Primal, Willy's Wonderland, and the litany of other D-grade projects he works on. Pig is not that. It is not a D-grade experiment by a first-time filmmaker that Nic Cage does for pleasure and a paycheck. It's a directorial debut, yes, but it's also a surehanded and poignant attempt at capturing loss, grief, and resilience. 

I knew nothing going in, and I'm grateful for that. While that's the best way to experience Pig, it does make it difficult to talk about. Cage's strength and subtlety in the lead role must be seen to be believed, the twists and turns of the story are too good to be spoiled, and the overarching brilliance of the filmmaking would suggest that Pig may be in serious consideration for Academy Awards. But that doesn't particularly matter.

Alex Wolff with Old and Pig back to back. King of the one-title films.

I didn't walk out of Pig thinking about its award chances or critical acclaim. I walked out with a tear in my eye, wondering how a Nicolas Cage movie could so powerfully reflect the struggles of everyday people - our struggles to find meaning, to be somebody; to be loved, and to love; our struggles never to lose whatever it is we have gained. That's what Pig is about. It is art that reflects reality, and it does so beautifully.

To say anything more would be criminal. I recommend everybody see Pig as soon as they can. Go in knowing little, and you'll leave knowing more. 

How I look at fools who say Nic Cage can't act.

Pig KRR: 8.8/10

Comments

Popular Posts